giovedì 22 gennaio 2009

Basic Urban Pocket Kit - Light, Sewing

Light

Another area when you should spend your money wisely.

I've got cheap micro lights working beautifully for years. And some, apparently identical, that failed in a day. If you plan for a light that could save your life or getting you out of trouble, it's wise to buy serious stuff.

I got a Photon X-Light Micro LED Keychain flashlight on eBay for less than 5$ (other reliable brand alternatives exist).

The Photon has several modes, including the possibility of choosing the brightness level, so you can seriously extend the battery life when in need. Apart from that, I do not believe in complicated survival / strobe / SOS light modes.

Photon is a serous company that makes good product and this is the cheapest they make (I believe), so I bought it. If it has fancy modes... fine, but I didn't buy it for them.

In addition to the X micro in my kit, I also have a cheap small similar one attached to my house keys and another one that I got as a promotional item attached to my car keys (we use the car very, very little, btw but have some form of kit in the trunk as well).

Two or three lights might seem to be a lot but when you really, really need light you will certainly find out that batteries love to run out and torches love to break down.

As one of the possible worst-case scenarios I could find myself in, in my real daily life, involves a broken subway train, in a dark gallery, I tend to err on the safe side, when it comes to lights...

Sewing Kit
Spend a night in an half-decent hotel and they'll supply you with one of the most useful BUPK components. Learn to sew, at least to replace a shirt button (the smart way is to do it with two needles). Be prepared, train for emergencies. Learn to do it in the dark, with one hand tied behind your back. You never know what might happen on your way to that critical business interview.... (I also glued an extra, large, button alongside to coins.)

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Add to Technorati Favorites