mercoledì 21 gennaio 2009

Basic Urban Pocket Kit - medical

Medical Supplies (?!)

Oh, come on, gimme a break.

If we talk *survival*, get a backpack filled with first aid stuff.

If we talk minor inconveniences - that can be faced with a pocket kit - the worst that can reasonably happen is getting an headache when pharmacies are mostly closed and you need 30 minutes of relief to get to the next open one.

So all my supplies are limited to a couple of painkillers (Paracetamol, Ibuprofen... choose you favourite poison) that can usually keep me for swearing for at least a few hours.

Please, do yourself a favor and make sure you are not allergic to those painkillers. Ask your doctor. That stuff has instruction leaflets that say stuff like "...the product only occasionally causes adverse reactions, in very rare cases with fatal results...".

I've heard horror stories about people and over the counter medicines, so I don't make experiments on myself and ask for professional advice. Oh, and ask a few questions before giving your emergency painkillers to friend or strangers. Have them sign a paper where they promise not to sue you if they turn into a pink lizard or die.

Apart from painkillers, I carry:

1. a small vial of Mercurochrome . If you don't know it... well, it's a red liquid, a topical antiseptic. Nasty stuff, to be honest, due to its mercury content - probably poisonous as hell. If I remember my First Aid classes well, it's not the best stuff to put on cuts, as well. And it stains skin and induments.

Still, should you suffer from an open, dirty wound and you risk getting some nasty creepers under your skin, I suspect mercurochrome is much better than nothing. I chose it because was the only single dose / small size antiseptic I could find. Small antiseptic towelettes might be handy but probably not the best stuff to use for an open, bleeding wound (I plan to add one of them, later on, as well).

Anyhow, if the wound is just a minor scratch I would probably not use mercurochrome on it, but I'd absolutely try to wash it with soap and water.

I take no responsabilities if you do use mercurochrome and get yourself in trouble. Ask for medical advice (I did). Don't blame me if you are allergic to it or assume it is safe. Look for an emergency aid book or ask your pharmacy if they have anything better for your own personal kit (should I add any more disclaimer to be sure you won't sue me ?)


2. Plasters

3. one Compeed blister plaster. At times my shoes and I have rather different opinion of what comfort should look like. This is one of the minor emergencies that, although not really serious, can really make you day miserable.

Compeed plasters are good to reduce the "new shoes syndrome" and more generally treat blister. Additional, as all good survival equipment items, they can double* as something else. I'm still trying to figure out what.

(* the classical example: "condoms, in a wilderness situation, can double as water containers." Gosh.)

It would be sensible to add the prescription medications you use or that you know might come handy...

2 commenti:

  1. Everyone should carry the medical kits that are necessary. That's why, we should be concerned about that when we are on our way.

    wetwipes

    RispondiElimina
  2. Many people will look to the possibility of wearing hypoallergenic latex gloves, but there really is no such thing. Although some types of latex may have less of the proteins which caused the allergic reactions in many individuals.

    nitrile gloves

    RispondiElimina

Add to Technorati Favorites